April 8, 2014

lemon honey shortbread with a lemon mint glaze

I love shortbread, always have and always will. As they say in the movie, Love Actually, "...true love lasts a lifetime." Indeed. This weekend I decided to try my hand at making this dense, crumbly & buttery biscuit. Perfect for the springtime and all of the picnics, bridal & tea parties that happen during this season. I used this recipe from William-Sonoma but made some slight alterations and added a glaze.
Ingredients for lemon honey shortbread:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs. granulated sugar
1/3 cup confectioners -powdered- sugar
3 tsp. grated lemon zest (Meyer lemons are the ones to use when making desserts as they are sweeter than the standard lemon)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
1/4 cup honey (I used Creamed Clover Honey from Trader Joe's)
** I followed the instructions outlined in the William-Sonoma recipe for temperature and bake time. I did not use the springform/tart pan but instead, a round glass pan sprayed with PAM. Lastly, I did not sprinkle granulated sugar on the dough prior to baking as I was going to use glaze instead. 

Ingredients for lemon mint glaze:
1 1/2 cup confectioners -powdered- sugar 
7 mint leaves 
Juice from 1/2 a lemon (Meyer, of course)
** I mixed the three ingredients together in this mini food processor until smooth. 

Once cooled, cut the shortbread into triangles and pour glaze over the shortbread. Garnish with a mint leaf or two.  

Enjoy!

namaste,
megan

No comments:

Post a Comment